Monday, July 2, 2007

Snape, Snape, Severus Snape

The subject line came from this movie:



Aaaaanyway, today was my first day as a newspaper intern! So now three days a week I'm working for a paper and two days a week I'm working for a medical publishing house. Busy girl, me! And I got an actual story to write for the paper! I have to call people and interview them and everything!

And on a totally different note, not only do I now hope Snape is innocent, I believe it, too. I found two solid proofs of his innocence in the sixth book. NO, THIS IS NOT A SPOILER. It is merely careful reading.

1.
"Hagrid, why is Dumbledore angry with Snape?" Harry asked loudly.
"Shhh!" said Hagrid, looking both nervous and angry [.....] "Well--I just' heard Snape sayin' Dumbledore took too much fer granted an' maybe he--Snape--didn' wan' ter do it anymore--"
"Do what?"
"I dunno, Harry, it sounded like Snape was feelin' a bit overworked, tha's all--anyway, Dumbledore told him flat out he'd agreed ter do it an' that was all there was to it. Pretty firm with him." (pgs. 405-406 of the hardcover HBP)

2.
"Kill me then," panted Harry, who felt no fear at all, but only rage and contempt. "Kill me like you killed him, you coward--"
"DON'T--" screamed Snape, and his face was suddenly demented, inhuman, as though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind them-- "CALL ME COWARD!" (pg. 604 of the hardcover HBP)


Those two definitely prove it to me. Especially that last one. I mean, yelling is not Snape's style. He's more soft and quiet in his anger, preferring twisted comments and sneers to shouting and all. He was clearly, clearly extremely touchy about being called a coward, perhaps because he had just done one of the most difficult things in his life by killing Dumbledore, and perhaps because he has to play double agent and is sick and tired of it. Who knows for sure? But it's pretty clear proof to me, anyway.

6 comments:

Chana said...

Sweetness, you will like this post of mine, titled "Severus Snape is a Good Man."

:-)

Chana said...

and if for some odd reason that link doesn't work, just google search my blog for "snape"

the apple said...

harry potter, harry potter! ooh, harry potter, harry potter!

i love this video.

Scraps said...

That video is strangely disturbing.

I'm holding off on all theories and anticipating reading Book 7 and finding out for myself. :)

Soccer Dad said...

I think you're double agent observation is correct. Here he was secretly working with Dumbledore in ways we don't fully know yet, and he was going back to Voldemort. Of course he was objecting to being called a coward!

Also, at the end of HBP, he's telling Harry that Harry must learn to cast silent spells. He's not mocking him (first impression); he's giving him valuable advice!

SJ said...

I agree, Snape isn't as he appears. That just wouldn't be J.K.'s style. Too easy.

And that video is my favey. Makes me laugh every time.

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!