Friday, July 27, 2007

I see. And tell me--

I DID MY FIRST EVER REAL, LIVE, IN-PERSON-AND-NOT-ON-THE-PHONE INTERVIEW TODAY.

And I thought I was very good! I just wish I wasn't such a slow writer because it got awkward how there were these long pauses between when the guy finished answering my question and when I asked the next one because I had to write it all down so I could get good quotes.

You know, I never thought I'd like reporting since I was always so insistent on being a creative writer only. Strictly stories, no newspaper. But I'm finding that:

a. Writing a reporter-style article still requires creativity and skill, just of a different sort.
b. When I was really young, I used to want to be a detective because I loved solving mysteries and figuring things out. Being a reporter is sometimes like that, even though it isn't real, investigative reporting, I'm still investigating the story, getting the facts straight, trying to find the truth behind things. It's fun. The only thing I have to get over is my discomfort with the telephone.


So I am still mostly a creative writing kind o'girl. But I can stick in a reporter article or two. Sure thing. Yep.

5 comments:

Scraps said...

Congratulations! That's so cool. :)

Ezzie said...

What Scraps said. :)

Interesting on the creativity bit... how come that's the case?

Erachet said...

Scraps - thanks!

Ezzie - Do you mean how come reporter-style articles need creativity? I always thought they didn't really because they weren't fiction and they weren't trying to describe something, just tell it like it is. But I'm finding that it takes creativity to know which quotes to use, how to arrange them in the article, and there are still a few descriptive sentences to use. It's not my favorite form of writing, but definitely something that requires more skill than I thought.

Sarah K said...

Congratulations!
Also, just a tip, if you're going to be doing a lot of interviews, you might want to buy a mini tape recorder and take it with you on interviews. Before you start the interview, ask the person you're interviewing if they mind if you record the interview, and if they don't mind (most people won't), you can take less detailed written notes (because you can just listen to the tape later) and the awkward pauses won't be as long.
But congrats on the interview, that's so awesome!!

Ezzie said...

Makes sense. :)

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!