Monday, May 21, 2007

Laitnetop ta ergru oyt ube risedru oyt on wohsi

Instead of being productive this morning and unpacking from Stern, I decided to idly read some blogs that I don't normally read. You know, to broaden my JBlogosphere horizen. Somehow, through a series of links, I ended up on a blog called HarryPotterTorah. This excited me very greatly because, of course, I love Harry Potter, and I love Torah, so therefore...I just know I'll love Harry Potter Torah! It excited me so much that I am actually devoting an entire post to it! How did I not come across this blog before? This I do not know. But, seeing as Shavuot is tomorrow night, I decided to link to the Harry Potter Torah entry on Shavuot and the mirror of LAITNETOP.

Now, if only I actually liked cheesecake, I'd be all set. Think I can learn to like it by tomorrow night?

....Nah. Oh well. There's always ice cream! Yum!

5 comments:

Scraps said...

Thanks for sharing that. :)

Procrastinators, unite...tomorrow!

the apple said...

Hmm. I'm not sure that I'm so thrilled that someone is actively attempting to show how Harry Potter is a source for Torah truths. That weirds me out a little. Once in a while, it's okay, but the whole enterprise strikes me as a litte odd (and yes, I did go read the blog).

Chag sameach, at any rate!

Erachet said...

I hear your point. I don't think it's that Harry Potter teaches us Torah truths. I think they're just using Harry Potter to come up with analogies or comparisons for things we can learn from the Torah in order to create Harry Potter themed Divrei Torah. I didn't really think about it that much, but you do have a point.

At any rate, I really only read the Dvar Torah that I linked to and I thought it was a cool idea.

Bruce Krulwich said...

In my own defense :-) I certainly don't think that Harry Potter is a source of Torah ideas. But Harry Potter is so good at engaging people and making them enjoy thinking about things, and I think it's worth doing some of that thinking through the eyeglasses of Torah. Rather than a source of Torah ideas, it's a channel to them. (Or something like that.)

I'm glad you liked the Shavuot idea, and hope it gave you something to think about on the chag. A neighbor of mine saw another Shavuot post I wrote (here) and we kept each other awake at the end of the night looking at the Mabit's diagrams of how the Ten Commandments looked.

the apple said...

I guess it's kind of how people use movies to illustrate ideas so that audiences will understand them better. In that way, I don't have a problem with it - using it as a vehicle of understanding, not as a source. Alright, Dov, you're off the hook! :)

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!