Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dream Diary Entry #1

I have very vivid dreams. Not only that, but I have these very vivid dreams quite often. When I was in Israel for the year, the first thing I used to say when I woke up, nearly every morning, was, "Whoa, I had such a weird dream last night." I wouldn't always recount the dream, but sometimes I would. Eventually, one of my roommates told me I should keep a dream diary so I could keep a record of everything I dreamed and so I could better relieve the stress, anxieties, or happy moments of my dreams. I never took her advice then, but now I think I'll give it a go. Especially since I had a particularly frightening dream last night.

In my dream, I was in some sort of school, though not a building I recognize from my real life. In my dream life I knew exactly where I was, though. Outside, there was a sort of Holocaust going on, only instead of the Nazis, the enemy was the Arabs. They were searching all homes and dormitories for Jews, so the teachers at the school I was in (I don't know who the teachers were either) told us we had to take a few of our belongings and go to this basement, which was like a sealed room/bomb shelter. We also had to be really quiet. I grabbed a notebook, a pencil, my phone, and my laptop, and ran down.

Meanwhile, there were two girls with us who had gone to high school with me and they were known spies of the Arabs, but we couldn't let them know we knew, except that everyone knew. So they were hiding with us and we all had to pretend to be really friendly to them.

Once we were in the basement, I went into this side room with another girl and she was on her laptop and I was just sitting there on this old, worn couch, and then we heard people coming down the hall, so I told the girl to be quiet but her laptop was making a lot of noise. I got scared and ran to go hide behind this cupboard thing but then I panicked since I realized it was a very obvious hiding spot, so I quickly pulled this laundry basket next to me so I wouldn't be seen from that side either (this part was a bit confusing) but then the door opened and the girl on the laptop froze and sort of blended into the wall, so two Arabs came in and they didn't see her, but they came over to where I was hiding and one of them grabbed my wrist and then I woke up.

It was really, really unnerving but I had that feeling of absolute relief when I woke up. You know what I'm talking about? When it takes you a moment or two before you breath out and realize that it was all just a dream and you're safe in your bed and daylight is streaming in through the window shades and it's going to be a good, bright, sunny, not scary day.

6 comments:

Scraps said...

Wow, that's quite an unnerving dream. I can understand your relieg at waking up to a normal world.

Anonymous said...

Yup, dreams can be scary...or funny...or heart-wrenchingly sad...but they also sometimes make no sense to the point that when you're dreaming you think to yourself "this doesn't make any sense..." but since you don't know it's a dream you just keep dreaming.
Just recently a friend commented to me something along the lines of "wouldn't it be interesting to dream in color?" And i thought "WHAT? how can you NOT dream in color!?" Imagine...dreams without color...

Interesting idea, to write a dream diary. I'm not entirely sure why one would do that, though...care to explain?

Erachet said...

Well, I guess there are many reasons why someone might want to keep a dream diary. I'd like to do it just to keep track of my dreams. It helps me get over them if I can write them down, especially if there's no one I can actually tell them to. Many of my dreams actually end up being stories, too, which is another reason to write them down.

Anonymous said...

especially if there's no one I can actually tell them to

I keep hearing this over and over. Not just in this context but in any--"I wish there was someone i could share this with" or "If only someone would want to listen to me"
And so often i hear it coming from my own head...
It's so frustrating that so many of us have things to say, and would also love to listen to what others have to say, yet we are all miles apart in our own worlds...
I was thinking about this for a long time...and i couldn't come uo with anything to do about it...
D'you think it's possible for someone's mazel elyon to be for them to live life as an island?

Erachet said...

Hmm, I don't know. It is rather difficult to understand just why there are so few people willing to truly listen, but yet everyone has so much they want to say. That's why so many people keep journals and diaries, I suppose. That's what's so great about blogging. You can say all you want and people actually read it.

It would be amazing if people were a lot more open with each other in real life, though. And listened more and everything. It's terribly sad to feel like there's no one to really talk to.

Yonina said...

I do think there are those who want to truly listen--not just a few--but the problem is finding them...
It's not like you go over to someone and say, "Hey, you wanna know why i'm sad today?"

And it's even hard to be open to those i'm close with...it shouldnt be that way, and i'm trying to fix that...but...yeah, it's hard...

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!