Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Taking lessons from school into life

It's almost a year since I wrote this post, which means it's almost a year since the tragic death of my Latin teacher. I don't know the exact Hebrew date of when she was killed, though I think the English date is July 7 (at least, that's what it says on the blog we, her students, created), but seeing as I'm going to be away for a little while anyway, I wanted to write about this now.

Well, there's not much I actually want to say. A whole lot has happened since then. We've sort of started a literary journal at Stern. The English department both fell apart and started to grow in major ways. And I know I've grown a lot as a person since then.

I think one of the main things I've learned over the course of this year, and some of that directly in connection with the events of last summer and with who Dr. Schwebel was as a person, is how not to be afraid to talk to people. It's still something I'm working really hard to get over, but I've become closer with more people this year than I have since my year in Israel. Life is short. You really never know what's going to happen, as morbid as that sounds, and, really, life is way too short to spend time being afraid. Believe me, I'm preaching this, but I'm still learning it, too. I'm learning it in a big way. Even with other things...like driving. Dr. Schwebel's accident only increased my fear of driving into pure terror, but yet this was also the year that I first drove on the highway by myself.

I think we should all just appreciate so much the friends and family we have because we're all super, super lucky to have people around us who care about us and love us. And we shouldn't take for granted any good teachers we have because, I'm also discovering, those are rarer than they may seem, especially if they are both teachers and role models. Basically, realize and appreciate the people in your life who matter because it's those people who are helping you become the best you can be in all aspects of yourself.

For all the bloggers whose blogs I've read/been reading: thanks for inspiring (and entertaining :P) me.

And for all the good friends I've made (or become closer with) this year, I love you guys. And thank you.

4 comments:

Ezzie said...

Great post, Erachet.

Northern Light said...

Thank you, Erachet, for your candor.

Anonymous said...

I went back and read the original post about your teacher, and that was a beautiful letter. And so sad. It brought tears to my eyes. This post is also beautiful...You're right, life is too short to spend being afraid.

I think I'm going to start reading your blog. I wonder what took me so long.

Erachet said...

Ezzie and Northern Light - thanks.

StillinShidduchim - also, thanks. :)

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!