Wednesday, October 24, 2007

To face your fear

Facing fears is probably one of the most difficult tasks a person has. It so easy to say, "oh, yes, I shall be brave and always stand up to what I'm afraid of" but it's quite another thing to do it. Fear comes on many different scales, too. There are more every day sort of fears, like will I get that internship, will I make it into the play, will I do well on my English paper? And then there are much more frightening fears: will I be healthy at my next doctor visit? Will I have enough money to live comfortably? Will I get into an accident while driving today?

The first sort of fears are so much easier to face. The consequences could be grim, but not that grim, if you look at it in the scheme of things. More like unsatisfactory as opposed to grim, really. But the second sort - those are so much more difficult to look in the face. They're matters of life and death, of comfort or poverty, of how you live your life. The stakes are much higher. How do you face a fear like that?

On a completely separate note, I am now the proud owner of The Goonies DVD. This makes me VERY happy.

2 comments:

Ezzie said...

Well, that explains *someone's* status...!

Not all fears can be or must be "faced". We live life to our best, and see how they come about; worrying about them or fearing them only makes them more likely to affect us negatively. There's an old quote about not worrying about that which is beyond out control; I've always found it to be good advice.

haKiruv said...

I'm somewhat of an anxious person by nature, but I try not to fear things like illness or loss of parnosa. If I get fired I get fired, etc, heaven forbid.

I try to tell myself, "I'm not perfect. I'm going to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. I'll try my best and that's all I can do."

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!