Saturday, October 20, 2007

Oh boy

So first of all, the bad luck sort of continues...so besides for internet still not working anywhere besides for this particular computer (which is not the one with my assignments on it, I think I'm going to have to bring my laptop down and retype the various assignments I need to send in this weekend or something), about an hour before shabbat we found a HUGE leak in the basement. So now my parents are working on that.

The other "oh boy" thing is that I saw this on aol.com (this is only a segment):

J.K. Rowling Outs Hogwarts Character

By HILLEL ITALIE,
AP
Posted: 2007-10-20 18:50:28
NEW YORK (Oct. 20) - Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.

After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."
Wow...I just...I don't think that's necessary in a series of books meant for children, or even young adults. It makes me sort of sad to think that this issue has entered the safe world of Harry Potter. And yeah, I do think Harry Potter is a safe place. Sure it deals with good and evil and that whole epic battle, and it deals with some shades of gray in between, but...somehow, this seems a bit...odd. I almost thought this was a scam article when I first read it, but it doesn't seem like it's a scam, does it?

4 comments:

haKiruv said...

Kinda like Obi-Wan Kenobi turning out to be gay.

Ezzie said...

My thoughts exactly. I don't get the point of it - is this JK Rowling trying to drum up press? Why the need to make him gay? I just don't see the point.

SJ said...

It isn't true! I shan't believe it! Even if Rowling thought that, couldn't she have kept it to herself?? Seems so unnecessary. She just alienated a lot of readers. Anyway, I will pretend not to have heard it.

the apple said...

WHY? WHY? WHY?

It's just *so* unnecessary. And the next thing you know people are gonna be talking about how Dumbledore was a pedophile or something.

WHYYYYYY? WHY, JK??? Why did you bring this onto your fans?

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!