Thursday, June 7, 2007

"Welcome to America, Now Speak English" - a t-shirt

I would like to discuss this comic:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There's always this debate, since America is like a large chulent country - a bit of this, a bit of that, toss some of the other thing in there, stir it up and see what we've got. So is this an English language nation? Or is it something else? What does it mean to be American? America now is definitely not the America it started off as, but where are we migrating to? We started off speaking English because so many of the early settlers were British. But what about all the other states that started off Spanish? Wouldn't that make Spanish just as legitimate for a national language? Or a co-national language? But you could say, those states that used to be Spanish weren't part of the original thirteen states of America. America was founded by Englishmen (primarily) and then those Englishmen - now Americans - took over further lands, thereby conquering places belonging to the Spanish. And when you are conquered, you do not impose your own rules on the conquerers. No, you adapt to the way of life that you've just been introduced to. In that sense, America should speak strictly English.

But America is also founded on the ideal that we are the land of the free, we provide equal opportunity. It shouldn't be difficult for immigrants in this country. In theory, anyway. In theory, America should open its arms to immigrants speaking all languages, not forcing them to conform to American ways, not forcing them to learn English, for we are a country where all cultures should thrive.

And on the flip side again, I'm American. I'm fluent in English because English is the dominant language in this country. So why is it fair that I shouldn't be able to understand other Americans - in America! Why should I have to learn their language so I can understand them, instead of them learning my language, the language all Americans should know. Right? After all, in France they speak French, in Spain they speak Spanish, in Italy they speak Italian, in England they speak English, so why can't the same expectation be held for America?

And speaking of England and America, if you really think about it, we don't actually speak English. We speak American. I mean, if you listen to a British person speak, there will definitely be words and phrases you just don't understand. Sure, it's similar, sure it's basically the same, but it isn't really the same.

I have no idea what I believe when it comes to this debate. I'm easily convinced either way. Any input?

2 comments:

Ezzie said...

Interesting. I always felt that I really don't care what people speak in their own homes, but it's important to have a national language for communication purposes. Since that language in the US is in fact English, I don't see a need to have large extra expenses to have everything translated into a multitude of languages for those who do not. OTOH, I *do* see a reason to have signs regarding danger in (say) Spanish if it's a large Spanish population. There's also the idea that people can pick up a lot of the English language by having signs and such in both languages.

Scraps said...

I agree with what Ezzie said--speak whatever language you want to at home, but outside your home, you need to be able to effectively communicate with others. And the language of communication here in America is English (or, as you said, American--I've heard Brits say that!). I have the same problem with Americans who move to Israel and expect never to have to learn a word of Hebrew.

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!