Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Books

Today was my second day at work! It was much better than yesterday. I answered the phone like a normal person and actually helped people! Though T.H. called again, only this time when I asked who it was and he said it was Gwiffle's husband, he didn't get all defensive. He just sounded a bit touchy. But, really, mister, if you don't tell me your name when you call, how am I ever going to know you're Gwiffle's husband? I mean, we're going to spend all summer playing this game if you don't start introducing yourself when you call. You know, like, "Hi, this is Fliffle, is Gwiffle there?" And then I can say, "Oh! Fliffle! Why certainly, one moment please!" And it can all be rainbows and cherries between us! Ah, alas, wishful thinking.

But anyway, today I also got to compose a letter! And make a list of contacts! And copy edit a catalog! Though the best part was listening in on a meeting about the creation of a book. They talked about the font, the spacing, the size of the pages, the cover, the price - everything. It was amazing.

I love books. I love everything about them, the smell, the pages, the weight of them in my hands, the words - oh yes, the words. The stories they tell. I treat them with care. I recently decided to use bookmarks so as not to ruin the corners of the pages. I also learned from Fire and Hemlock not to leave a book on its face in order to hold the place.

One day, when I have my own house, I'm going to have a library. And a nice one, too. I also really want to have a tower where I can have my work room for writing and I can look over the whole town but they can't see me. And it will have a windy staircase going up. The library won't have a staircase, unless I have so many books that it needs one *grins gleefully* but it will have really comfy couches. The kind that are maroon colored and you sink right in. And the bookshelves will be cherry wood - oooh, that's nice.

I'm not sure why I'm designing my dream house on my blog at the moment. Perhaps it's because it is midnight and I am in serious need of sleep. I also wrote an entire post about something else but decided I didn't like it and deleted the whole thing, so I felt the need to at least post something. I wanted to post about eating in Circa and why I love kosher restaurants but that will have to wait for tomorrow. I'm way too tired now to think on anything more than a silly, superficial level.

But this is a shout out to those who love books as much as I do!

2 comments:

Scraps said...

I love books too. They make good friends. Fire and Hemlock was a good one.

Your dream house sounds wonderful. Can I visit?

haKiruv said...

Get one of those ladders with the wheels on top that move down the bookshelf. Or at least get one of those cool stepping stools that have wheels on the bottom, but it springs down and becomes sturdy when you stand on it. Those are fun.

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!