Sunday, April 8, 2007

Huffabo et puffabo et tuum donum inflabo!

That's Latin for "I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!" I'm not sure where I found it. But anyway, I take Latin and so does my cousin so over the first days of yom tov, my uncle asked me if I now get the Latin joke in Life of Brian. I haven't seen Life of Brian in ages so I didn't really remember the Latin joke, so after yom tov I went on google and searched for it and this was what I found:

[A Centurion catches Brian writing graffiti on the palace wall.]
Centurion: What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go the house?
Brian: It says, "Romans go home."
Centurion: No, it doesn't! What's the latin for "Roman"? Come on, come on !
Brian: Er, "Romanus"!
Centurion: Goes like?
Brian: Annus.
Centurion: Vocative plural of "Annus" is?
Brian: Er, "Anni"!
Centurion: "Romani"... [writes "Romani" over Brian's graffiti] "Eunt"? What is "eunt"?
Brian: "Go".
Centurion: Conjugate the verb, "to go"!
Brian: Er, "Ire." Er, "eo," "is," "it," "imus," "itis," "eunt."
Centurion: So, "eunt" is... ?
Brian Third person plural present indicative, "they go".
Centurion: But, "Romans go home" is an order. So you must use... ? [twists Brian's ear]
Brian: Aaagh! Imperative!
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: Aaaaagh! Er, er... "i", "i"!
Centurion: How many Romans?
Brian: Aaaaagh! Plural, plural... er, "ite"!
Centurion: "Ite"... [writes "ite" on wall] "Domus"? Nominative? "Go home" is motion toward, isn't it?
Brian: Dative! [Centurion pulls out gladius and holds it against Brian's throat] Aaagh! Not the dative, not the dative! Er, er... accusative, accusative, "ad domum", sir, "ad domum"!
Centurion: Except "Domus" takes the...?
Brian: The locative, sir!
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: "Domum"!
Centurion: "Domum"... [writes "Domum" on wall] Um. Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.
Brian: Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.
Centurion: Hail Caesar!
Awesomely funny, though I learned that Locative would actually be "Domi," not "Domum."

While I was already on the Life of Brian quotes page, I skimmed it for the other funny quotes and found a few which reminded me just why I thought the Stern play was a combination of Cinderella and Life of Brian. And they are:

Brian: I am NOT the Messiah!
Arthur: I say you are Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few.

Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand?! Honestly!
Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
Brian: What?! Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not!
The Crowd: Sch!

It's a very funny movie, but not so kosher. Then again, Monty Python is hardly ever kosher.

In other news, Pesach has been really great so far. I made matzah balls for the first time and they came out awesome. Of course, while I was making them, it took me a while to figure out that if I stand directly over the pot and gently drop the matzah balls in, I won't get splashed with boiling water. Until I figured that out, I was tossing them in like basketballs from across the kitchen so I'd be out of range of the burning splash. It was quite fun. Matzah basketballs!

And now it's back to making note cards for my Latin midterm that I have to take before vacation is over. The good news is, I've finally been able to catch myself up to basically where I'm supposed to be in that class. I think no matter what, there should be a catch up week in the middle of every semester. Sure, plenty of people will waste it, but for those who seriously need it, it will alleviate so much stress and tension. And even for those who waste it, they need a break anyway. It will just be healthy for everyone overall. Sort of like a recharge period.

No comments:

Now I have secret, hidden text like on SerandEz!