Ah, pet peeves time. I have oh so many. I'm sorry for using this as a venting table, but I just need to get these rantings off my chest.
Problematic things at Stern College for Knowledge:
1. Security guards who see students as guilty until proven innocent. I'm sorry, but it is inexcusable to shout at a girl running into the building late for class who SHOWS HER ID, "EXCUSE ME, MISS! ID! WHERE IS YOUR ID! I STILL DON'T SEE IT. COME BACK AND SHOW ME YOUR ID!"
Even for a girl who does not have her ID out, there is a polite way to say, "ID please?" and there is an obnoxious way to bark out, "UH, ID, MISS!"
And, I'm sorry, when someone's PARENT comes into the building, KAL VACHOMER YOU SHOULD NOT START GETTING OBNOXIOUS. WHAT KIND OF IMAGE ARE YOU SHOWING THE WORLD ABOUT THE WAY YESHIVA UNIVERSITY STAFF BEHAVES?
Besides the fact, going back to the students, it's just utterly ridiculous that student IDs are what the security guards are going bonkers about. Of course they need to see everyone's ID, but they don't have to lose their hats over it! YOU SEE ME EVERY. DAY. Stern is not THAT big that people are not recognizable. Honestly, most Stern girls I RECOGNIZE even if I don't KNOW them. Why? Because I SEE THEM AROUND. SECURITY GUARDS - YOU SEE ME EVERY SINGLE DAY MULTIPLE TIMES.
2. Librarians who make you feel like you're wasting their time just because you ask them to do their job.
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP GIRLS OUT IN THE LIBRARY WHEN THEY NEED HELP, THEN DON'T BE A SCHOOL LIBRARIAN.
3. Le Bistro closing at three on Thursdays and the regular caf not opening until five. There should not be two hours where absolutely nothing is open food-wise, especially at that time in the day. ESPECIALLY because 3:00 is right when a class ends so someone who has a class in that time slot (which is a pretty popular slot, too) and hadn't had a chance to get lunch at 1:45 will be messed up food-wise. And if they are going somewhere on Thursday and leaving before the caf opens for dinner, they may not eat for a WHILE. I know seems like a trifle, but it's much more annoying and inconvenient than it sounds. I know this, because I can't even count how many times I hadn't had a chance to get real lunch in between my classes and had forgotten that Le Bistro closes at three on Thursdays and had been left with no lunch. That should never happen. Le Bistro should be open until five, when the other caf opens for dinner, or even until 3:30 or 4, just to give people who have class until 3 some time to get something to eat!
4. MEAN, OBNOXIOUS, ATROCIOUS COMPUTER LADY. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BEING ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING TO GIRLS WHO HAVE HARMLESS, CLOSED WATER BOTTLES THEY ARE NOT EVEN DRINKING IN THE COMPUTER LAB. AND I'M SORRY, IF I PUT A WATER BOTTLE UNDER THE DESK AND IT IS CLOSED, IT WILL NOT SPILL ON THE COMPUTER. I PROMISE. YOU CANNOT ASK GIRLS TO JUST LEAVE THINGS LIKE WATER BOTTLES IN THE HALLWAY. THAT IS BASICALLY ASKING THEM TO THROW THEIR WATER BOTTLES (OR OTHER HARMLESS FOOD ITEMS) AWAY. THAT IS NOT FAIR.
5. This is not a complaint but more of a suggestion. Some classes have Angel accounts and the teacher emails the class when she will be absent and class is canceled. This is a very wonderful and beautiful thing and should be replicated by ALL teachers. It is a bit annoying to get up for class and go all the way to the school building to find out that your class is canceled. To those idealistic people out there, you might be thinking, "what's the big deal? It gets you out of your dorm! I don't think that's bad at all!" But think about all those times you went to sleep too late and then woke up with your eyes HURTING from lack of sleep and your body ACHING and all you want to do is go back to bed. Or how about if it's raining or freezing or snowing outside and you just don't want to leave your dorm if you don't have to? There should be a way for teachers to either email their class or post on the YU website if class is canceled. I know the option exists, but many teachers don't use Angel. I think it should be made mandatory. Or at least strongly suggested.
6. The Stern library needs a MUCH BETTER SELECTION OF BOOKS. ESPECIALLY FOR BOOKS THAT ARE BEING TAUGHT IN CLASSES THAT SEMESTER. THERE IS NO REASON WHY A GIRL SHOULD HAVE TO ORDER A BOOK FOR CLASS FROM UPTOWN.
Aaaaanyway, enough complaining! I feel so much better now! Thanks for listening/reading!